43221 Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form College

Monday 28 February 2011

Project Management and Monitoring Production

According to my scheduling document, the work I'm supposed to be doing over the next week is fitting the badge designs into two or three badge cases, and ironing the T-shirt design onto a T-shirt. However, I'm currently working on my magazine cover design on Photoshop and am cutting out images required for the campaign outlets out. I recently installed Photoshop this week and have completed work on my poster during the break, as well as started working on my magazine cover and completing essays and research deadlines for other subjects. I intend to dedicate the next week in lesson, during free periods and after college to getting my magazine cover and article completed as well as my email outlet and T-shirt/badge design and will also continue to work on them over the weekend. 

Before starting work on the campaign, I spent an hour or two getting to grips with Photoshop again as I haven't used it in several months, so although it was challenging to get my head around certain elements of the program, I'm beginning to find my way around it efficiently, and as a result have completed some campaign work, therefore everything ran smoothly in the end. This is how far I am in completing my magazine cover and poster.


As a result of creating these campaign outlets, I feel more confident in using Photoshop and have discovered how to apply certain tools to particular aspects of the product in order to make them stand out more, e.g. altering the hue/saturation/brightness and contrast of the images (for example, I altered the saturation and brightness/contrast of the poster imagery to give it a darker, moodier feel), applying strokes to fatten up the text, colour overlays, gradient overlays, applying texture, drop shadows and inner/outer glows etc, as well as the process of downloading effective fonts and brushes of a high quality that cater to the needs of my specific campaign design, which will ultimately be a huge factor in how effective and professional my campaign will turn out to be as the more knowledge I possess regarding how to find my way around Photoshop, the more I will be able to determine which tools are best for producing my products to a high standard.

Regarding my magazine cover however, the styles of fonts and the colours I have used for the sell-lines don't fully mirror my treatment due to the fact that when I applied the yellows, greens and purples to the text, it looked tacky and unprofessional, and also didn't reflect a limited colour palette but a range of colours, which wasn't originally what I'd planned to have, therefore I experimented with black and red in conjunction with the tools in the 'blending options' such as strokes, drop shadows and inner/outer glows, to determine what colours look better-suited to the overall harsh, edgy theme I planned for the text in the first place. It turns out the harsh "Trashed" font I downloaded and the colours I used for the magazine title were also most effective for the sell-lines and advertisements.

In addition, having physically typed the original magazine title "Drunk Weekly" in the "Trashed" font as well as used harsh, bold colours on the magazine cover, I felt that the title "Smashed" looked more in-your-face and hard-hitting as a title in general, especially as it's a more unique title than "Drunk Weekly" in that the name "[insert] weekly" is used for a range of different magazines. I particularly felt that "Smashed" was a more effective title to use as it suits the calibre of the magazine more, is a modern slang word for "drunk" amongst teenagers, has a cool, "young" feel to it, and compliments the edgy, scattered brushes I applied behind it as it gives it more of a "smashed", broken, dangerous feel than the original title did.

In terms of what I feel I need to do to my current completed products in order to make them better are experimenting with different positions on the page of the poster title "Still dying for a drink?" as it doesn't stand out as much as I'd like it to, and also apply a white stroke on the advert information at the bottom of the page in order to make that stand out more as well. I also intend to spend the rest of the day determining how to make the imagery for the magazine cover compliment the sell-lines and text around it in order to make it the most effective it can be, as well as determining what positioning on the page looks best for the imagery.

Overall, I'm not as worried about the state of my work or the amount of time I have left to complete the campaign and hand it in to the extent I was a few weeks ago before the shoot as I feel I will able to complete all my products by the deadline next week, particularly if I dedicate all the lessons, my free periods and my free time at home to working on and defining them all as much as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment